So we have installed the jdk in the Slackware system ( part I ). But for java program development it is not enough, for effective management of code we need to have a good Ides. And two of them are Eclipse and Netbeans.
First Method :
- Download the Eclipse for Gnu/Linux from here. Choose the appropriate version and type.
- Extract the downloaded compressed files to the location where you want to install them. You might have to have the admin privileges.for example : if I want to install eclipse in/opt of Slackware ( a good choice to install non default Slackware programs)
# cp /opt # cd /opt # tar xzvf
- Change directory ownership to your user/group.
# chown -R eclipse
- Create link in desktop, Menu.
- Click on the icon and give the workspace directory on start up.
- Use your Eclipse IDE.
Second Method : There exists links to the sites which provides installers, download them and install eclipse (You might have to have admin rights)
Third Method : Use Slack builds.
- Download the installer from here , which is a script file.
- Install Netbeans as admin
and follow the installer window instructions
- Use Netbeans.
There is an editor called JEdit which has plenty of plugins to empower it for code management.
Happy Slacking guys 🙂
- Setting up the Java Dev Environment in Slackware 14 – Part 1 (slackerboyabhi.wordpress.com)
- Setting up the Java Dev Environment in Slackware 14 – Part 3 (slackerboyabhi.wordpress.com)